Sunday, March 28, 2010

Now We Want to Tell You Why Taxes Are Bad

Now I don't like paying taxes anymore than the next person. Or at least I thought so. But some of my tender friends on the right are sick and tired of being punished by the government. Because everyone knows that is exactly what taxes are, a form of punishment. I have often wondered about this, especially when I hear the all too typical, "why should I be punished for being successful, other people should learn to pull themselves up like I have."

To begin with, how condescending can you possibly be? When you consider how hard you have worked to get where you are, let's consider a couple of things - what type of school did you go to, did you have two parents in your life, were you parents employed, could you afford college, did you have health insurance? The government isn't punishing you for succeeding, taxes are the price of society. That school you went to, that road you drive on, that tax deduction for your college loans, that tax credit for your parent's mortgage, that food subsidy, that employer insurance subsidy, these things cost money. So don't think you are being punished, you are providing a small portion of everything you have been given.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot BELIEVE I didn't comment on this. I emailed it TO MY MOM. how did I not comment? I love you. I love your blog. I imagine I will use it for when I feel sad and lonely (when you don't live 20 feet away) in the future.

    ReplyDelete